Saturday, January 28, 2012

And The Fun Continues...

Raw Vanilla Cashew Creme Parfaits
I have to tell you, I feel like I've discovered something brand new! I've been making cashew creme for a while now and while I thought it was a good substitute for regular creme, I wasn't too excited about it to tell the truth.

Then I stumbled on a blog, TheRawtarian.com and saw her raving about this "fruit dip." I had to try it! I wrote down the recipe and made it while I was playing with the raw Nutella (last post.) 
It seemed all too familiar but...

I was surprised! and R, who was always a little mediocre about the creme, really liked it too! 
So I was all excited to share a new recipe with you, only to find as I compared it to the previous one I've posted about here, that it's pretty much the same with just a subtle difference- vanilla! and a little less sweetener.

It's like a whole different thing and I'm amazed! 

Just a little tweak and it made all the difference!
So in the interest of being complete here is the new version and I'm calling it:


Vanilla Cashew Creme
aka "Fruit Dip"

1 1/2 cups Cashews, soaked 1- 2 hours
1/2 cup Water
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil, in liquid form
2 Tbsp Agave or Honey
1 Vanilla Bean or 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
splash of lemon (optional)

Blend until creamy
Chill in Fridge


This really is amazing with fruit!
Vanilla Cashew Creme Paired with RAWtella, Bananas and Raspberries
For the Crepes, I tried a couple different ways to go. I came across a video of Ani Phyo making crepes and she uses flax seeds with either apples or bananas. Some reviewers said that the apple was a little less sweet so since I was pairing mine with raw Nutella and fruit, I thought that might be better.

I found the recipe and was a little bummed that it was vague about how thin to spread it or really what the desired doneness would look or be like. She also said it should make 4 crepes and I spread it really really thin and only got 3 crepes. Plus I let it dry almost twice the time she suggested and it still wasn't completely dry. But my thinking was, if it's completely dry, won't it be more of a chip? How will I fold it without it breaking? So I had to guess when to remove it from the dehydrator and let it go as long as it was dry-ish and still pliable. It wasn't tacky to the touch. She said her recipe with the flax would be less leathery but it still was. Maybe I did something wrong? Not sure but...

Apple Crepes with Bananas and RAWtella and Chocolate drizzle


It looked good! It tasted good!  Very mild in flavor and a little hard to cut through but I get that it won't really be like a crepe and I'm okay with that.

Ani's Apple Crepes

1 cored and diced apple
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
2 Tbsp Agave
1/2 cup water or as needed.

Blend apples, flax,agave and water until smooth.
spread evenly on a lined dehydrator tray.
Dehydrate 4-6 hrs at 104 degrees F or until completely dry. 
You can flip off the liner and dry a couple more hours.


After I tried that, I had to know what the banana crepe from The Rawtarian would be like so I whipped up a batch of that as well. So simple!

Banana Crepes with Vanilla Cashew Creme and Berries with Strawberry Drizzle

Banana Crepes 

4 bananas
 1/4 cup of water 

Blend up in the blender 
Pour onto a lined Dehydrator tray
Tilt tray to spread mix around 
 Dry overnight
 Peel from Teflex and flip
Dry about another hour
But still pliable
and I got me (4) 8"crepes!


Banana Crepe or Fruit Leather
This was very banana-y, very sweet and delicious! It's more like a fruit leather and that's is not bad at all. It is a little stickier and harder to cut than the flax version though. 
(You need a very sharp knife to cut through and your crepes get kind of smooshed so expect that.)

I would almost recommend making large full dehydrator tray square crepes, cut into quarters and then cutting into bite sized strips before rolling creme and/or fruit inside. Or maybe even a burrito style roll up would be good! Just a thought. But very tasty!

Strawberry Sauce

1 cup Strawberries
1/4 cup Agave

Blend until well mixed.
Add more agave to taste


Chocolate Sauce

1/2 cup cacao powder
3/4 cup agave (or maple syrup)
4 tsp melted olive oil

Blend in a small blender.
Will keep fro a week or so.

I hope you enjoy these simple delicious basics!

7 comments:

Michelle Felt @ Feed Your Skull said...

Beautiful pictures and plating!! Everything looks so yummy!

Jodi is Purely Nourished said...

Thank you Meesh!

kathleen said...

Looks delicious and your photography is stunning!

Jodi is Purely Nourished said...

Thanks Kathleen! You don't know how glad I am to hear this. I'm between cameras at the moment and really self conscious about what I'm using. Glad to know it looks okay. ;-)

Unknown said...

Looks delicious. I wonder how to store those crepes if i want to serve them on breakfast? Thx

Jodi is Purely Nourished said...

Thanks Lorik! I would put them in a closed container in the fridge. Hope you try and enjoy.

Jodi is Purely Nourished said...

Thanks Lorik! I would put them in a closed container in the fridge. Hope you try and enjoy.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...