Sunday, November 11, 2012

Kinder Holistic Dental Care


My New Dental Routine.

Recently I had a really painful situation with my teeth. I spent many nights and days researching dental remedies. I wasn't receiving relief from the dentists I sought out so I started to dig deeper into the field of holistic dentistry. I bought many books as well as scoured the internet and found the information to be really eye opening. I came up with a routine that does no harm and has provided me some great results, along with peace of mind. Eventually, I also sought out a biological dentist who discovered I was allergic to a metal based crown in my mouth. He replaced that as well as some biologically incompatible fillings. I am now metal free and I am doing so much better.

I never have understood why dental care was always separate form medical care. Does that make sense to any one else? Your mouth is in your body after all. What you eat affects your teeth and the health of your teeth affects what happens in your body as well. Your mouth is also one of the quickest delivery systems into the blood stream. So why is it acceptable to put toxins in your mouth?

Have you ever noticed that there is a poison warning on your dental care products telling you not to swallow it?  Toothpaste and other dental care products fall under personal care products and are therefore not under the control of the FDA. They can literally put anything in there.

For a list of what is in toothpaste and their tested effects on the body see the bottom of this post.


To be as brief as I can on an in depth subject, I want to share with you what has become my new dental routine and what helped me stem off a painful infection as well as impress the pants off one of my dentists!


I gave up toothpaste years ago after learning about the chemicals in them. I first switched to health store brands but learned they just have some similar ingredients and still some that interfere with tooth care.
For instance Glycerin is something that has been put into tooth paste to coat your teeth, thinking this will prevent cavities. The problem is, it takes approximately 20 rinses to remove it and meanwhile the saliva in your mouth that is designed to remineralize your teeth is prevented from doing so. 
Glycerine is not good. As a matter of fact there is not much that is necessary in tooth paste at all.
Most ingredients are sweeteners and chemicals, including anti freeze! YEP!
You are better off with a dry brush then adding these items into your body. 



What you need to know is that teeth are alive. And just like everything else in the body, your body is designed for self care. It's best not to interfere too much with this process but instead support it.



Sea Salt Water

The purpose of Sea Salt water is to neutralize the Ph of your saliva, 
which is what really cares for your teeth and gums. 
Plus it supports remineralization of the teeth with mineral rich Himalayan Sea salt.

When you have a sore in your mouth or an infection the first thing they tell you is to rinse with salt water. This should be a regular step even something to do after meals if you are able.

Worst thing you can do is brush your teeth when they are coated with an acidic saliva and to be clear meat, grains, dairy and fruit are all acidic in the mouth.
The acid coating plus the act of brushing actually brushes away the tooth enamel.
A few drops of Sea Salt in some filtered water and a shot glass makes this a snap.

My Dental Care Steps


Step 1.
Rinse / Alkalize
Take a shot of Sea Salt Water and Swish and Spit.
Do not swallow.
If you do nothing to change your current dental care routine at least consider this one.


Step 2.
Brush

Brush your gums gently with a dry tooth soft brush. Notice I said brush gums not teeth.
You brush one direction only from gums toward tooth, slowly.
Brushing teeth aggressively brushes your gums away from the tooth and creates receding gums and pockets. You don't want to expose your teeth this way.


Step 3.
Floss

Floss but with a floss that does not contain chemicals, please. 
I like Smart Floss, found at Health Food stores because it stretches with tension and
 then thickens when tension is released to really remove debris.
I add a drop of Healthy Gum Drops to the floss to get the essential oils in and around the tooth,
again being very gentle with the gums.


Step 4.
 Massage

A drop of Gum Drops on the Gum Massager and I gently go around massaging my gums.


Step 5. 
Polish

I use a battery charged Round Headed Tooth Brush and a dab of Non Aluminum Baking Soda to polish teeth, being careful not to annoy the gums. 
As an extra step of antibacterial action I dip my brush head in some coconut oil first
 and then the baking soda.
This is not necessary every day but maybe once or twice a week.


Step 5.
Disinfect

If there is any inflammation, I take a shot of half Hydrogen Peroxide and half water 
(never H2O2 straight on healthy tissue) and swish for a couple minutes.
(Even my dentist admitted to doing this.)
This kills any bacteria causing infection.

I believe this step and the Gum Drops got rid of a horrible infection 
and helped relieve intense pain until I could find a biological dentist.

Tea Tree Oil can also be used diluted in water to rinse the mouth and fight bacteria. 
A good way would be using a few drops in a water pik or a syringe.


Step 6.
Final Rinse

Rinse again with Sea Salt Water to rebalance the mouth ph again.


Step 7.
Special Needs

If I have a tooth giving me attitude or a gum that shows some bleeding, 
I rub a drop of the Gum Drops on it.


Step 8.
Disinfect Tools

I dunk my tooth brushes and massager head into some straight H2O2 in my shot glass
 to disinfect and air dry.
It amazes me how we were never taught to do this. 
Water alone does not remove bacteria.


This may seem like a lot of steps but really it is not a hassle. Having everything ready makes it a snap. Plus I feel like I am really doing something good to help keep my teeth healthy.
I want them to last a lifetime.

Another step that I have yet to incorporate is a tongue scraper. This would be up there right after the first rinse as a way to remove bacteria from the tongue.


For Tooth Pain or Bleeding

If you are not already following the above steps- do it!
You will not be sorry. You will start to feel relief with each day you do it.

Clove Oil

This is a pain reliever you can put directly on the tooth causing the problem. 
Dilute it first with a neutral oil like little olive oil. 
It may burn or sting a little but it will work.
Clove Oil has been used for hundreds if not thousands of years for tooth pain.

The Gum Drops has this as an ingredient so I just kept applying that.


For Infection:

At first sign rinse with sea salt and water mix.

Try one of the following:

Add 6 drops of tea tree oil to water pik and use daily
Apply Lobelia Tincture, Tea Tree Oil or Colloidal Silver directly on gum to control infection.
Rinse with One part water to one part Hydrogen Peroxide

Nutrition:
Eat a alkalized diet full of fruits and vegetables and make sure you get enough Omega 3s daily.
Omega 3 s will help rebalance your body's chemistry.

Gum disease leads to bone loss and starts with a deficiency in the Vitamins, A, C, D, and Calcium.
Strawberries, honey, lemon juice and stevia are all good foods for your gums.



If you have deep gum pockets, sensitive teeth, or even the first signs of a cavity, 
consider giving this protocol a couple months to work before taking a next step.


Toxic or abrasive mouthwash and toothpaste ingredients:




Source:  This is a culmination of several sources but the main one is Nadine Artemis. I had viewed some of her videos on Self Dentistry online as well as hearing her speak at a Longevity Now Conference a couple years back. She is very impressive! When I heard her back at the Longevity Now conference, it was a new concept to me then and I wasn't yet onboard. What really caught my attention was hearing all the people lined up at her products table sharing their testimonials of how they have reversed dental issues such as tooth sensitivity, bleeding gums, deep pockets, gum disease, cavities, and even enamel errosion by following her protocall. While she can not make these claims on her website, I was hearing them first hand out of the mouths (no pun intended) of her followers and they were impressive. I finally gave up my toothpaste and other commercial products.

The real beauty of this is, you don't really need her products to follow along, although one in particular, The Healthy Gum Drops sure makes it easier. I have since listened to several of her online interviews and special reports on dental care.

Check out Nadine at Living Libations and watch some of her great videos.
PS: I have no monetary gain from her products. I just want to help spread a good word to help others.

I hope this was helpful.  I know it's made a big difference for me.


14 comments:

MarjiB60 said...

Jodi, this is a wonderful article. You gave such a good explanation along with great pics. I am going to order the gum drops and begin using them. My teeth and gums owe you their gratitude for turning me on to a great dentist (which I need to get back to) and now this helpful info! I love your blog, keep up the good work, Marjorie

Dental said...

Very interesting article.It helped me a lot in taking care of dental care.Dental care is important for all and most of them will neglect this!But we should not do.These are really good steps!
Dental

Jodi is Purely Nourished said...

Thanks for the feedback! Here's to healthy teeth!

Unknown said...

This post is quite educational on dental care.As dental care is important for healthy life and it should not be ignored.So everyone should examine their mouth at regular period of time.
Dentist Clinic in Chandigarh

Unknown said...

Thanks for post.

Houston Dental Clinic

Milliscent Morgan said...

What a great blog it is, I'm so glad to know this information coz now I'm confident enough what should I need to do to have white and healthy teeth. Very much I like!-emergency dental care Stouffville-

JeanM said...

What are Gum Drops?

Jodi is Purely Nourished said...

Hi Jean. Yay! a real person posting a comment! ;-)

Healthy Gum drops are...well let's see what the website for the maker says..."Healthy Gum Drops contains super-critical extracts and essences of seabuckthorn berry, rose otto, oregano, peppermint, clove, tea tree, cinnamon, and thyme linalool. These organic and wild-crafted ingredients create an effective anti-bacterial, anti-fungal anoint for all aspects of oral care. Add one drop to toothbrush, salt mouth rinses, massage into gums and glide a drop over dental floss to cleanse the tiny spaces in between the teeth."

I use them lots of ways and really like them obviously. A little bottle lasts a long time. I don't make anything from the company. I'm just a fan. There is a link to the website up in the body of the post.

Hope that helps.
Jodi

Jodi is Purely Nourished said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eduardo Tomlin said...

I’m convinced you’ve done a thorough research about alternative dentistry. And I can’t contradict or say negate about all these either. I know they can provide as much care as the mainstream dental community can. I’ve tried a herbal mouthwash once. Though I’m not very much comfortable gargling extracts of certain plants, I did so because it is said to be good in healing wounds. And the mouth needs to be treated and soothed periodically. On a slightly different note, don’t depend solely on research. :) I see you’re already looking for your own holistic dentist though. Any luck? :)

Elfrieda Sevigny said...

I totally agree with Eduardo. I can see that thorough research has given you tremendous amount of knowledge regarding alternative and holistic oral care. Over the past years, I've read quite a few blogs that are using hydrogen peroxide for their teeth whitening which is not very healthy. Although, they've said that their dentists have given them a thumbs up about it. But, I'm really still on the look for the most effective yet less harmful material that can bleach-white my teeth.

Jodi is Purely Nourished said...

Thank you for the comments. I have been fortunate to have found a great holistic minded dentist. He has carefully removed materials that I was indeed allergic to and it has drastically improved my health as a result. He continues to test me for bio compatibility before using anything which I completely appreciate.

I do not recommend using store bought anything for your teeth or mouthwash. Research ingredients for yourself.
As for hydrogen peroxide, it is not an unsafe substance and a step way above what is in most tooth pastes. But please keep researching to ind what woks for you. It need not be complicated.
Best in health.

K said...

Yesterday, I walked out of the dentist office. He had wanted to put fillings in my teeth and was pretty insistent. Of course, he is only doing his job! But I explained to him I felt it best to do some research before putting some unidentified substance in my mouth.

This was really helpful to read as I discern what to do about my oral health, or really, whole body health. It's exciting what salt water can do and it's a shame that we have been brought up to buy sugary toothpastes and brush our teeth so hard.

The body is amazing, but I don't think we give it enough credit to handle itself.

thanks for this helpful information Jodi.



K

Jodi is Purely Nourished said...

K, All I can say is good for you for asking for time to consider your options. Too often we do not take preventative measures for our own health. It is completely reasonable these days to search for someone who is a little more aware. I am fortunate to have found a dentist who will muscle test me for compatable materials- even fillings before putting anything even novacaine in my mouth. But because these kind of dentists risk persecution from their own boards, they are not advertising these things on their websites. Look for reviews and ask around to find a good one. Call their office and ask how they work with amalgams and removals. I found the assistant in the office quite helpful and the dentist even called me himself prior to me making an appointment to ensure I was comfortable with his procedures. Best of luck to you! Our mouths effect our bodies no doubt. Protect yourself.

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...