Yay! Summer's here!!
Don't you just love going into the market and seeing and smelling all the colorful fresh produce this time of year? I do! There are so many wonderful summer fruits and veggies, it seems like a celebration. I guess it really is!
This is the time of year that I like to eat the very simplest. Fruits, smoothies, juices, salads. It's all good!
But the summer heat around here makes cold treats a real staple. Last summer I played around with making popsicles and that's always a hit but this summer I have found something even more easy.
|Yonanas frozen treat maker|
This is the Yonanas Frozen Treat Maker. It basically takes frozen fruit and churns it into a creamy ice cream like consistency in minutes!
It doesn't get much easier than this to make really simple and purely delicious frozen treats like creamy ice cream or sorbet.
No having to freeze an ice cream maker ahead of time, no popsicle sticks, or forms to fill either.
No list of ingredients, no dairy, no nuts, or coconuts for the base. Definitely no chemicals like in store bought stuff.
And if you are used to making banana ice cream in your blender or food processor this is a much easier way with similar results as using an expensive juicer with a blank plate.
This little device simply turns frozen fruit into sorbet and bananas into something creamier.
Clean up is super easy too.
|Bananas, Mango and Pineapple, frozen for Yonanas|
You simply freeze some ripe fruit, largely bananas are used for a creamier base but you can add others for variety of flavor. It only needs to be frozen for an hour or 2 before they are ready to use. Mine were really frozen and icy.
Place a bowl under the Yonanas' chute. Thaw the fruit a little or it comes out more icy than creamy.
|Yonanas in Action.|
|Tropical "Ice Cream"|
|Close up of Mango Banana Pineapple "Ice Cream"|
All bananas is the creamiest and most like ice cream. The mangos and pineapple here were more like frozen fruit sorbet. As you are alternating what you press down the chute, the outcome is the same and needs stirring to combine the flavors.
This tropical blend is a delicious combo by the way!
You can see in the closeup picture above the bits of mango and pineapple mixed in. A little coconut sprinkled on top would have been good too. Next time!
|Mixed Berry Sorbet|
As opposed to a juice or smoothie where you can strain the seeds and sweeten if necessary before freezing into pops or the ice cream maker, this is straight fruit, which is sort of the point. It was definitely a hit though!
* They say that when mixing other fruit into the bananas, you won't taste the bananas. We didn't find this to be true. If you don't like bananas, no one is going to pull this one over on you. It does taste like bananas... mixed with other fruit. It's good!
* There are so many things you can blend in for additional flavor like nuts, cacao nibs or even push a frozen chocolate bar through the shute for chocolate shavings mixed in.
* Don't forget the fresh fruit toppings or cacao/chocolate or fruit sauces too.
* It is loud when turned on but so is a blender and it's only on for a few minutes, so no biggie.
* You can make the frozen treat and then store in a container in the freezer fro scooping later, like I do or still place into popsicle molds.
* The Yonanas is super easy to take apart and clean. Not even a consideration.
* Remember to let your bananas freckle well before freezing. Nothing worse than unripe and unsweetened bananas to try to digest!
* I think you will find that eating fresh frozen fruit like this is very filling! You won't eat as much of this as maybe you could have with ice cream. This is full of nutrients and fiber and very filling. Can't say that for the other stuff.
* And speaking of that, I thought it was funny how in the infomercial when they are talking about how healthy this is to have real pure fruit with no additives, that the first thing they show is placing the "ice cream" between two chocolate chip cookies or toaster waffles before giving to the kids. ;-P
check out Freelee from 3o Bananas a Day, who didn't resolve her over weight issue until adopting a high fruit low fat vegan raw life style, including... yes, eating 30 bananas a day!
I purchased the Yonanas 902 Ice Cream Treat Maker, Black/Silver from this seller on Amazon for $49.95. It was new, shipped fast and arrived perfect condition so I recommend them. The "deluxe" ones just mean that they include containers and popsicle molds etc with the unit. I had those so I went for the regular version.
All in all this was a very good purchase that I am very pleased with. I see a lot of bananas in my future!
How about you? Do you have one? Think you might like to get one? I'd love to hear any more tips on using it.
Also if you're a regular, what do you think of the blog design changes?
I also added Recipage to the tab bar up top and am busy moving all the recipes in there. This will make finding, printing, saving or sharing GettingRAW recipes super easy. Love any input.
Thanks and Happy Summer!