Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Reiki Experience

Another Kind of Life Force Energy

What is Reiki?
(pronounced Ray- Key)

 Reiki is a Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation that also promotes healing. 

The word Reiki is made of two Japanese words - Rei which means "God's Wisdom or the Higher Power" and Ki which is "life force energy". So Reiki is actually "spiritually guided life force energy."  from Reiki.org

First of all, I must thank all those responders to my last post, Me Getting Raw. Besides receiving lovely comments, personal emails came flowing in with email addresses, and phone numbers, offering personal support and kindness- really blew me away. Thank you! Your out pouring of compassion and tenderness really means so much! Such a generous bunch of readers I have!

If you did read my last blog post, you will be surprised by what was revealed to me yesterday and detailed in this post. I know I was! So read on.

When I first became ill, one word would pop up every now and then, Reiki. People kept suggesting maybe I should look into Reiki. I had not a clue what it was and would half heartedly look into it often ending up at a dead end then just plain forget. Either the people that I found had moved from the area or the places I came across no longer had someone offering it. So like I said, I would just forget about it.

I was a little wary of Reiki, as it seemed a little new agey and I had never known anyone who had received it. Then I came to learn that Dr. Oz's wife, Lisa is a Reiki Master. I have to say this gave it some real credibility with me. I had even seen him speak of it's merits for promoting healing on his show. So I looked into it again and saw that it's use in medical settings was really catching on.

A Reiki Treatment
( although usually you are fully dressed!)
I learned that Reiki is about opening up your energy channels, your chi or ki and your body's meridian points. Eastern medicine is based on the belief that an unseen life force energy runs through the body and these meridian points and that it is what keeps us alive. If your energy flow is weak, you are more apt to experience illness or dis- ease. The stronger it is the happier and healthier your life. Having had first hand experience with the benefit of opening up this flow through acupuncture and coming to see CFIDS and Fibromyalgia as an energy crisis, I had a new interest in Reiki.

Raw Food Life Force Energy: Enter a Totally New Stratosphere of Weight Loss, Beauty, and Health
When I was learning about Raw food, the turning point for me was the understanding of uncooked fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds still retaining their life force energy and if consumed this way, transferring that force into our bodies. Thanks to Natalia Rose's book- Raw Food, Life Force Energy for this awakening.
 
This just made so much sense to me. So this idea of Reiki really clicked.


A while back, someone popped onto my radar screen- don't ask me how and low and behold she taught Reiki. They say that when the student is ready, the teacher appears. Her name is Anne Reith, a trained psychologist and she is in Orange County, CA some 2 hrs away from me. I read many reviews around the net and came to learn that this is the teacher you want for Reiki training so when her Reiki 1 Attunement class popped onto her schedule, without warning I signed up.

Yesterday I excitedly and nervously hopped into the car and headed off to The Sanctuary for my class.

As the class began and we were going around the room introducing ourselves, one women burst into tears explaining that she did not know what was happening but she felt very sick and strange and emotionally unbalanced and didn't know whether she should leave the room.


(Remember my last post?!) 

Anne, immediately explained that this was normal and asked if anyone else had experienced this recently. We were all surprised to see most hands go up. (There were 15 people in my class!) The woman was instantly pulled aside and kindly given a Reiki treatment by another Reiki Master in the class and was calm within minutes. Anne explained that in preparation for a Reiki Attunnement it is not unusual for an "energy clearing" to happen before hand and even afterwards. The degree of intensity of this "cleanse" is in direct proportion to how much clearing you need.

Sort of like the "healing crisis" that goes on when cleansing with raw food or a juice fast.

Don't ask me how this happens, before hand. I don't really understand the science of this but I know for sure I experienced it. This news was both a relief to me and a mystery. A relief because that whole melt down of mine this week was very unusual and scary. At least I was not the only one and there is a pseudo explanation for it.


What is a Reiki Attunement?


Reiki is a simple technique using the hands (either on or off the body) as a conduit for life force or God source energy that can be taught to and used by anyone. The first step is to learn about it and its use and to receive the ability, which is passed on by a Reiki Master through a Level One Attunement. This one time transfer allows the student to tap into this "life force energy" and to be able to benefit from and share the healing energy with others.

Sounds great doesn't it? But c'mon. Really?

What I learned today is that you don't need to believe in Reiki to experience it. 




Why did I go for an Attunement over just a treatment?


My understanding is that once you open up this channel with an Attunement, it is like a widening of your meridian pathways and the more your easily chi flows. Also the more you give this energy to others, the more flows through you. Reiki is said to go to where it is needed and if you as the giver are in need, you benefit as well. So it is more like a treatment that you can give to yourself at any time and the more you share with others, the more you receive in return. I like that idea.

What does an Attunement feel like?


I can only explain my experience. We did a meditation before hand to calm the mind (and nerves I suppose.) Then two Reiki Masters came around the room and did our Attunements one by one as we sat in chairs with our eyes closed and waited our turn.  I knew when she was behind me and started mine, as I felt the top of my head start to tingle and then a wave of heat flow down through my body with a strong Woosh! Like someone pouring hot water down the inside core of my body. A second wave this time of emotion over took me and it was all I could do not to bawl out loud. I instead simpered as tears ran down my cheeks and tried to keep myself under control. It was not a frightening feeling but instead an overwhelming senses of joy and love.

(I know- weird huh?)  Anne later called it "a release."

As the second master came around and did mine again, I felt my head again tingle and then my arms get extremely heavy, like I was holding heavy heavy lead balls in my hands that pinned them to the tops of my legs.  When others later expressed the same feeling, Anne explained that this was the flow of energy backed up and not yet released through the hands. She said later if you feel this, open it up and practice letting the energy flow.




Interesting to Learn

In a Reiki 1 Attunement, you receive only 20 % of this energy opening, the second 80% comes in Reiki 2. It has something to do with raising your vibration slowly. Given the cleanse I went through before hand and the experience of the Reiki 1 Attunement, I can only imagine that this is a good thing not to receive it all at once.





Afterwards we practiced turning on and off this energy and took turns giving each other a Reiki treatment. To my surprise, the person I treated said she could feel heat emanating from my hands. Even though I was rushed and had no clue what I was doing I definitely felt heat coming from her body under my hands, more in some areas, less in others.

What Can I say? I was amazed!

As skeptical as I was about this whole thing, I have to say that now that I have experienced it, I am a believer. 


A word about my teacher Anne Reith. She is a kind, patient and thorough teacher. She takes this passing of knowledge very seriously and makes sure you come away with all your questions answered, even the ones you don't even know yet. She's very conscientious and generous with her time.  Others in the class, who had experienced other teachers as well, also confirmed this. I feel so blessed to have stumbled across her and can't wait to learn more from her.

Can't wait for Reiki II!

I have to add this: 

If you saw my recent post on Facebook about my new fascination with Labyrinths and wanting to make one, seeing this symbol associated with Reiki yesterday was kind of wild!


All in all this was a really trippy day! 
In a Really Good Way!

For more information on Reiki check out:


Follow Up:

When I woke up today (after sleeping an unbelievable sound sleep too I might add) out of curiosity I did the symbol to turn on the Reiki. Immediately I felt heat coming from my hands. Not having read yet how to apply it to myself, I called over Lili, my dog and placed my hands on either side of her head. 
Her eyes got really BIG and she slowly pulled back while watching me and then she came back forward and placed her head back between my hands and after a few minutes laid down. I continued keeping my hands around her until she went to sleep. I had to laugh as I remembered how Anne warned us that animals can easily become Reiki addicts!

I have a feeling that she won't be the only one.

Have you experienced Reiki? I would love to hear your thoughts.



4 comments:

Antony said...

Wow! This sounds fascinating. I don't have any reiki experience but after reading this I'm sorely tempted to get some! Glad it worked so well for you :-)

Jodi~GettingRaw said...

Thanks Anthony! It is kind of exciting- like a new toy! I'm anxious to see what kind of healing it can bring. Now that I've written this, I'm really surprised to learn how many people are telling me they have actually done Reiki and how many are even Reiki masters! I had no idea it was popular!!

Anne Reith said...

Hi Jodi, this is Anne. Thank you so much for sharing all of this about your Reiki I class! I am honored to be your Reiki Master, and I can't wait to attune you to Reiki II on Sunday. We'll have more time to practice, and I bet you'll really begin to "feel" the energy more and more. Can't wait to see where this part of your journey takes you!!! Reiki blessings! Anne (P.S. For those wanting answers to some of their questions, they can go to this page on my website. It provides quick and concise information about this amazing energy! http://annereith.com/classes/reiki-orange-county/)

Jodi~GettingRaw said...

Thanks Anne! Thank you for your comments! It has only been two days since my attunement but things are humming! Tv acting weird, my phone too and my dog attached to my every move, ready to roll over on her back and surrender herself up to a reiki treatment - so funny! Can't wait to continue the journey!

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...